Tuesday, September 18, 2012

In The Demon's Head #61: Self Publishing Stigmata





In The Demon's Head #61: Self-Publishing Stigmata
September 18, 2012

Hello everyone, today is the first issue of the new reformatted In The Demon's Head, I have a feeling we may be in for one or two more of these before we finally reach a stopping point on changes but as everyone knows you have to learn what your working with and make the most of it and if it doesn't work then change it up. I'd like to thank those of you who have kept up with me so far and I'd like to offer a massive thanks to anyone who might join on the ride now.

So keeping in with the theme I thought I'd discuss today a topic that I'm sure so many new writers in this world that we live in today have heard about, the self-publishing stigmata. What this generally relates to is the thought that self-published books are of far worse quality then that of a traditionally published book. Most people make this assumption only because in the self-publishing world of today there isn't a massive waiting time for books to be read, accepted, bought, and then published. Instead any author can go on to places like Amazon, Barns and Noble, and other places and suddenly boom the book is available for your hungry heart to consume.

Now I'm not writing this article because I myself am looking to make my mark on the self-publishing world, (though I'll admit it does give me a rather itchy middle finger to those that think this way) I'm writing this article on behalf of the rest of the indie authors who are writing great works but never getting noticed because of a stigma attached to Self-Publishing.

There are dozens perhaps hundreds who deserve to make a living from their writing and they'll never get noticed because people want to pass off self-publishing. Now when I say people, I'm not grouping everyone together here just so you know, In fact a recent bestseller was a self-published book, 50 Shades of Gray has lit the bestsellers list on fire in recent months.

Now the greatness of the writing can be called into question but that's for another post on another day. One thing is certain though, it started as a self published book and is now a traditionally published gem that is continuing to grow.

I truly believe that eventually the self publishing phobia will eventually fade as more of the crap writings are filtered away from the very well written and done. At that point there will be a number of authors whose names you may have never otherwise heard that will become famous in their own rights and will be making money doing what they do so well, write. 
 
The writing world has been and will continue to change and it's the millions of people who have decided to change with it that give me so much hope that one day I too will be able to make a living giving you guys some great things to read. If there's one thing that I've learned about the world it's that if something doesn't change or evolve then it dies. The last thing I'm sure any of us want is for the reading and writing world to die, after all then what would we satisfy our imagination with? 100 Shades of Gray, I for one thought 50 was too many.

Today's question is this, have you ever shown Self-Publishing fear, that is that you don't buy a book because you've never heard of the author and because it was Self-Published you were skeptical? If you have a story to tell please share it in the comments section below or on my Facebook Page.

Also, I'm still looking for my first Guest Blogger post, if your interested and you can write about anything in the world that you want, please let me know via Email. You can get In The Demon's Head delivered straight to your inbox by imputing your email address in the box above. Until the next time you want to take a trip through the gates of hell and into the demon's head, I'm Kyle Robinson wishing you a safe trip back to the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment