Tuesday, April 17, 2012

In The Demons' Head #14: A Freelancing World


In The Demons' Head #14: A Freelancing World

April 17, 2012

Well as I write this I can hear the collective breath of relief as Tax Time has now come and gone for most of my readers. For others that filed extensions if there are any then the nightmare isn't over quite yet but it will be soon I'm sure.

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for the new follows, likes and adds on Twitter, Facebook and Google Plus.

I hope that you enjoyed my special Friday The 13th edition of Inside The Demons' Head and I'm still utterly amazed that I managed to pull that off, if you can't tell it gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling on the inside which is very very hard to do. Either way I want to move onto today's issue and a topic that I have repeatedly encountered in my writing life, Freelancing.

Now I'll be blunt and honest with you, I'm not a successful freelance writer but I promise it's not from lack of trying. For the last few months I've sent out hundreds of proposals looking to write everything from radio ads, to scripts for videos, to copywriting assignments for a number of different clients only to be turned down repeatedly.

The reason I wanted to talk about Freelancing today though is because I wanted anyone who is considering the art of freelancing as a prime source of income while you aim to launch your writing career to know a few things I have learned in my attempt to get my career off the ground.

  • Know what Your getting into- I took a copywriting class at the end of 2011 hoping to do copywriting as a way of making money while writing my book on the side which is something that the program said could be achieved. What I found out after the class was over and I started looking for jobs, a lot of the places that worked with that particular school prefer or require that you have a degree in some form of english or communication, make sure that you are covered in some way if you decide to take this route.
  • Study the competition- There are a lot of areas out there that people can write for. I would suggest that you aim to narrow your field as soon as possible, Mine was writing commercial and video scripts.
  • Connect, Connect, Connect- I know a lot of you have read this blog as part of the platforming challenge, and for me that has been a very extensive network of connections that I wouldn't have had otherwise. If I were you I would aim to make as many connections as you possibly could. The plus side to this, The more people you know the more work could be available.

Now as I said I'm not a freelancing success by any means, so there could be a number of other factors to influence how well you do in the freelancing world. If there are other tips you can leave them in the comments section or if you have a cool story to tell you can leave it as well.

Until the next time you want to take a trip through the gates of hell and into the demon's head, I'm Kyle Robinson wishing you a safe trip back to the surface.

----------------------------------

You can connect with me on:


Or Email me by clicking Here

There are some other post you might like:


No comments:

Post a Comment