Tuesday, April 3, 2012

In The Demons' Head #9: Overcoming Writers Block


In The Demons' Head #9
April 3, 2012


Hello everyone and a happy Tuesday to you.. man that's definitely different to write on here. Usually I'm coming to you of the gate on Friday's but since I started using Blogspot as a host for the In The Demons' Head blog as well as the new Off The Top Rope wrestling Blog that I will be doing every Wednesday it's nice to keep things a lot more current. I will usually have my generic updates that I have done a lot, every Friday. On Tuesday I will pick a new writing topic and cover it to the best of my ability. So thanks to everyone who has found this blog. If you found it on my personal Facebook page, you can sign up to receive the blog via email over on the left hand side. If you found the blog on blogspot, then there's a link to my Official Facebook Page in the upper right hand corner of the page. Welcome aboard.

Today's topic is one that I'm sure anyone who has EVER had to write anything at all has faced... the horrid Writer's Block. I know I'm not the only to curse Writer's block by call it a son of a bitch, or in some cases much worse. Now, I'm not one to brag but writer's block isn't something that I usually have to deal with, but last week before I finished the story “7th Circle Railway” I was in a place where I had no clue where or how to take the story. I was in a point where moving forward the story didn't really make a whole lot of sense if I wasn't careful, but at the same time if I didn't end it right the integrity of the story.

It took me 4 days of constant nagging at myself to finally come up with a way to find my way out of the situation and find a way to end the story on the note that I wanted to end it on. Now I know there may be some people who read this that would tell me that if I plotted out the story move by move then I wouldn't have had this problem. I won't argue that this could be true.

But don't you like surprises when your reading? Why not surprises when your writing. I took some advice from a great writer by the name of Stephen King. In one of his books he says that you should just be the transcriber for your story. You watch and describe what happens, don't control it. I took that philosophy to heart. I found myself in a spot with this story I won't lie but at the end of it I have learned a lot about how to overcome writers block should it strike me again.

The best way to do this, take three steps back from what your working on. Wait 24 hours and run at it again. If that doesn't work put in a 2 day wait before trying to finish it. But in these down times DON'T THINK ABOUT THE PIECE. You can write other things, I did but don't think about the piece your stuck on. If writing makes you think about then step back from writing. That's the simplist way to approach a project that keeps your head away from the game.

That's about all I have for this edition of In The Demons' Head. If you feel there is a subject that you want me to cover please feel free to email it to me at robinsonwritings@hotmail.com with the subject line Blog Idea, or send a message to my Facebook Page. I'll be back Friday with a new In The Demons' Head and Tomorrow will be the debut of Off The Top rope so if your a wrestling fan please check that out.

Until next time you want to take a trip through the gates of hell and into the demons' head, I'm Kyle Robinson wishing you a safe trip back to the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment