Thursday, October 4, 2012

In The Demon's Head: How To Measure Success





In The Demon's Head #65: How To Measure Success
October 4, 2012

First let me apologize for the lateness of this post. I know it's two days late and my main reason is because... well I didn't know what to write about to be honest. Now I read a few weeks ago, a post from someone who said write only when inspiration strikes and don't force it because it will cause your writing to suffer. I almost gave up writing this edition of “In The Demon's Head” then I read an article that I'd like to talk about today.

If you know me you know that I'm an avid reader of the “Writer's Digest” free newsletter and I'm trying all the time to read things left and right, I'm an avid believer of the more you know the more you learn. So when I learned that there was an article available that said “How To Measure Success”

I'd like to talk to you about what that means, at least to me. For me Success means happiness, it means that you enjoy what your doing everyday, it means that you have taken the necessary steps to reach your dream. For me I gauge my success like this:

It will happen when I am able to be home and writing on my schedule. I don't need millions to live, I hate everyone that says that unless your like JK Rowing, or Stephen King then your successful, the fact of the matter is that while that amount of money would be nice no doubt, but it's not something that is a necessity. I look at it like being able to make 60-100 thousand a year as something that would be the perfect amount of money for me to live off of.

Why am I bringing this up now? Because I want to get it out there that while the message of success varies from writer to writer, the overall message is clear that you don't have to be known worldwide, or extremely rich to be famous. Quite the contrary you can be moderately wealthy and your books never break the top 20 in order to be successful. I know not everyone will agree with that and that's fine but I think on a number of levels realistic goals that will provided some meaning of success is far better then shooting for ridiculous goals that few if any may ever achieve again. How do you measure success? Let me know in the comments section below. 

That's all for this edition of “In The Demon's Head” I'd like to thank everyone who has been reading me consistently since day one. I'll be back on Saturday, not Friday for a special update edition of “In The Demon's Head” then next Tuesday I'm finally going to sit down and explain the beef that I have with 50 Shades of Gray and it's writer. Until the next time you want to take a trip through the gates of hell and into the demon's head, I'm Kyle Robinson wishing you a safe trip back to the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment