Tuesday, June 12, 2012

In The Demon's Head: Rejection Frustration







In The Demon's Head #31: Rejection Frustration
June 12, 2012

Hello everyone It's new release Tuesday. I hope everyone is doing well on this great Tuesday Morning. I've talked about a lot of different things since I started writing this blog back in February and as the blog calender shows, I'll be writing about a lot more things, including a platform building series for later this year, however I thought I'd take some time to talk about something that every single writer has no doubt experienced, Rejection.

If your like me if you receive a letter that tells you that your story or poem hasn't been accepted for publication a number of things run through your head. Regret, doubt, in some cases, fear can creep into your head. It makes you wonder if your good enough to be able to get something published. For me my first rejection drove me crazy, It made me think that I wasn't good enough.

I eventually came to my senses and started working on the book I'm working on now “More Then Memories” But as I worked on the book over the last six months, the thoughts and doubts came creeping back into my head. In fact it wasn't me that snapped me out of the horrible thought process that I was in, it was my girlfriend Liz.

Now That I've began editing the entire collection it's made me realize why I was rejected from the git-go. After going through the collection I've edited out a lot of excess stuff that wasn't needed and I was able to expand it other places and expanded throughout. It made me realize that editing is something that is going to be needed if I ever expect to make a living as a writer.

So what does this have to do with rejection you ask? It's very simple, it's a challenge that I want you to take. Find a piece, almost any piece that you've sent in and had rejected. Then I want you to edit it to the best of your ability and then go back through and look at all the marks and stuff that you've put down. Finally, actually edit the work and compare the two side by side, read the unedited version, then read the edit and I'm willing to bet that you will see how much better the edited version is.

Now I understand that none of this will help you get your rejections down but it could help you deal with the rejections, or stop them if you put in the effort and time to edit everything. It's something that I've learned will vastly improve your writing and how good your writing's final product can be.

That about does it for me and this edition of “In The Demon's Head” First, I'd like to ask you to join me this Sunday for a special edition of “In The Demon's Head” where I will interview Mr. Roland Clarke. Also, there's a donate button at the top of the blog and if you like what I do then I'd love for you to donate a little bit of extra cash my way. Finally, you can subscribe to the blog by putting in your email in the upper right hand side of the blog and have it delivered directly to your email. Finally you can follow the blog as well.

Until the next time that you want to take a trip through the gates of hell and into the Demon's Head, I'm Kyle Robinson wishing you a safe trip back to the surface.

Also, you can connect with me on your favorite social media website, either on Facebook, Twitter, or Google Plus.


No comments:

Post a Comment