Tuesday, May 15, 2012

In The Demon's Head: Writing Software: The Good, Bad, and Ugly



In The Demon's Head #22: Writing Software: The Good, Bad, and Ugly
May 15, 2012

Hello everyone and happy Tuesday, is there such a thing? I'm not sure but all in all I can't complain. Today is a MASSIVE day considering, first off thanks to all of your I have managed to reach a brand new milestone as some of you know and have gotten to 100 Facebook likes. To Celebrate I released a brand new poem entitled “Viral” if you haven't had a chance to check it out click here to do so. I'd love any feedback from my fellow writers and readers. So far I've gotten some warm reception to something that is very touchy.

Either way that's enough about what's going on with me I want to talk to you today about the ever popular Writing Software. If you've been at this for longer then 2 months and are handy with a computer then you have likely looked up the different types of writing software there are out there.

Now I've only really experimented with Master Writer but I know there are a number of them out there. They range from New Novelist, Character Pro, Final Draft among others. The question I pose here is what kind of (If Any) affects do they have on your writing and are they good or bad?

Now before we proceed, I'll admit I don't know quite as much here as I did in the Traditional vs. Self Publishing post from a few weeks back so if something I say is wrong or you feel is outdated in some way then please feel free to let me know.

After a couple weeks with the Master Writer trial what I've learned is that Writing Software can be detrimental to your writing but could also have some decent affects as well.

In the character creation process, I'd give software a negative turn, it may be just the old nature of the way I do things but I love seeing the pictures of my characters in my head and adding to them on paper and learning about them as I go.

However, In forming plots and giving you writing ideas if you ever run short, I can see how these programs can be positive. Just last night I had a problem deciding what I was going to write and publish for the Facebook group, I looked online for prompts but found nothing. I know some of these programs have idea generators that could be very helpful in these situations.

From a organization standpoint it can be both positive or negative just depending on how you like your writing experience. For me hectic and loud (with music) is a great way to write others love their organization spot on and these programs can no doubt offer that, especially if you work on more then one project at a time which I know some people like to do.
As I said before I'm an old fashioned guy, I have an I-phone with a notepad app in it and I still prefer to carry around my little composition notebook to keep my ideas down in. I will use the I-Phone if absolutely necessary but really prefer the notebook. The same is said of my ideas. I like to form them out of thin air a lot, I know this can lead to problems but I have yet to really worry about that.

I think it's really one of those “beauty in the eye of the beholder” kind of metaphors here. You will either enjoy and find software useful or you'll hate it. It's kinda all about your style.

My question to you, do you love or hate writing software? I'd love for you to comment below and share your experiences, positive or negative, I'd love to hear it. Also join me this Friday for an update on the progress of “More Then Memories” and this Sunday there's a special interview with Miss Jennifer Chow that will be a featured article for In The Demon's Head so come back for that. To save a trip, you can subscribe to the blog by typing in your email up top in the box. Also don't forget to follow the blog.

Until the next time you want to take a trip through the gates of hell and into the Demons head, I'm Kyle Robinson wishing you a safe trip back to the surface.

You Can connect with me on:


Or Email Me here

No comments:

Post a Comment