Tuesday, April 10, 2012

In The Demons' Head #11: The Pointless Side to Social Media


In The Demons' Head #11: The Pointless Side of Social Media

April 10, 2012


Happy Tuesday everyone, I hope all is well with everyone. The past 10 days have been wonderful for me. I've gathered a new circle of fans and friends who love to write like I do and we've built a small community and it feels good to be a part of that community.

Today's issue of In The Demons' Head had a number of different directions that I saw it go in my head. I wasn't positive of which way to take it but when I finally sat down and thought about it I figured that maybe this would be a good time to harp on a subject that a lot of writers and bloggers already should know, and most people have already done, putting meaningless shit on your social media site.

I'm very guilty of this crime, but some of you might be a bit confused as what could be considered meaningless, after all I'm willing to bet that we have different styles of writing, different ways of going about our daily lives, and different thoughts on everything but I believe there is some general consensus about what can be considered pointless post.

Here's a few of those meaningless things, and why they are meaningless:


  • Boring Post on Your pages- The term says it all, these post are boring, create no excitement, and give your reader, or your fans no real reason to enjoy them. The easiest way to fix this is read the post before you post it. If you find it interesting from a fans standpoint then you should be safe.
  • Pictures that don't contribute to your overall meaning- We all post pictures of our families, friends, animals, and other odds and ends of our lives and that's all fine and good but they have no point to your public facebook or twitter profile. There could be pictures of your desk or work area, or even pictures of your manuscripts, things like that.
  • Backlink things- This isn't so much a meaningless thing as a missed sharing opportunity. If you check out my facebook page you will see a number of links, notes, and other things that link everything up to either my blog or back to the Facebook Page, and in some cases the twitter page.

I say these things are meaningless mainly because let's face it. Social Media, especially Facebook has been built for sharing, and with the introduction of public timelines and groups you can share all of the information about your career and your achievements without having to share all the private family stuff, and as a fan a lot of the time we don't really care. I've learned that.

I'm sure there's a few other things that could be included on this list, I'd love you to comment below and add in anything that you feel could be meaningless on a public social networking page?

Until the next time you decide to take a trip through the gates of hell and into the demons' head, I'm Kyle Robinson wishing you a safe trip back to the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment